Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heyday Books: It's An Ohlone Thing

San Francisco, CA -- Heyday Books held their second annual New California Writing 2012 event at the California Historical Society headquarters.  It was a true gift to hear California writers read from their published stories that appear in the 2012 anthology.  But, I was there on a mission: to shake the hand of Malcolm Margolin, founder and owner of Heyday Books who wrote my favorite book on the California Indian The Ohlone Way: Indian Life in the San Francisco–Monterey Bay Area published over 25 years ago and still relevant today.  There were plenty of people in line to say hello to Malcolm and when I got my turn, I babbled on about how much the book meant to me and that the view from my apartment at Basecamp overlooks the Emeryville Shell Mound and before I got a chance to tell him that sometimes I pretend that I am an Ohlone Indian wearing a deer skin coat, and grind acorns with the other women while singing songs someone else swooped Malcolm away, which was probably a good thing for him.  I raise my glass to a man who’s made a huge difference in California literature.  Here's to you Malcolm!

No comments:

Post a Comment